He’s 19 years old but has already shown his potential when at 17 he was named as the 14th best player in the world, and coach Danny “Zonic” Sorensen has followed him closely for a while.
Danny “zonic” Sørensen, Astralis Coach:
– Emil is one of the most talented players in the world. Fortunately for us, he’s never really gotten the credit, but combined with his style of play, his personality and the motivation he has shown to play for Astralis it’s close to a perfect match. He has already proven himself on the highest level, and I am confident he will grow even further in the Astralis and RFRSH surroundings. He has the potential to become one of the best players in the world, and in time, I think he can get there.
– Friday came as a bit of a surprise to us all, but the culture in Astralis is always to be prepared for even the unthinkable, and we always keep track of players who can potentially step in in case of illness, injuries or sudden changes. The second we learned about Kjaerbyes new plans, we started working to secure the best possible replacement, and out of our options, I am excited that we ended up signing Emil.
– We had some good talks and negotiations with OpTic, and Emil has been very active and helpful in the process as well. It’s this form of dedication and motivation that will help Emil and Astralis take the next step. It always takes a couple of tournaments to show up for real with a new line-up, but we’re looking strong, and the rest of the team can’t wait to get going! Our ambition for 2018 is to bring home some of the big trophies, and to re-establish ourselves in the top, and by adding Emil’s firepower and even clearer roles on the team, I believe we’ll get there.
Emil “Magisk” Reif looks much forward to joining the team:
– Ever since Danny send me a message, I haven’t had a second thought. I want to play for Astralis, it’s by far the biggest team in Denmark and one of the biggest teams in the world, and this is where I want to be the coming years. The players, the team and the facilities are second to none and I think very few players would turn down an opportunity like this.
– I know most of the players on the team and the people around them and talking to them before I signed only confirmed my impression. I know what the team needs and I feel I fit very well into the way they play and their plans for future development. I will play with some of the best players in the world, and even though it always take some time to get used to a new constellation, I believe I will be able to contribute from day one. It’s the big league, and it might take one or two tournaments to get used to each other, but I am so ready.
– I do wish to take the time to thank OpTic and everybody in the org. I had a great time there and they have been helpful even in this phase. I have a deep respect for everybody there, and I am proud to have been a part of OpTic! But playing for Astralis is just an opportunity I can’t turn down.
Emil “Magisk” Reif is 19 years old. He has played for SK Gaming, Team Dignitas, North and OpTic Gaming and he’ll join Astralis immediately.